The best TVPs album

General chat about Television Personalities.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

What's the best TVPs album?

And Don't the Kids...
11%
Mummy Your Not Watching Me
15%
They Could Have Been...
4%
The Painted Word
15%
Chocolat-Art
11%
Privilege
19%
Camping In France
No votes
Closer To God
4%
Yes Darling...
No votes
I Was A Mod...
15%
Top Gear
No votes
Paisley Shirts & Mini Skirts
No votes
Don't Cry Baby...
No votes
The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Dreaming
No votes
Fashion Conscious
No votes
And They All Lived Happily Ever After
No votes
My Dark Places
7%

Total votes: 27

Aidan

The best TVPs album

Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:01 am

Which was your favourite TVPs album, and why?

As regards the compliations & live albums, I've included the ones which are different enough to be essentially new albums, but not pure best-of's like Part Time Punks. Although I've not included it as an option, IMO if someone were to put the four early 90s EPs (She's Never Read My Poems/Strangely Beautiful/We Will Be Your Gurus/Far Away & Lost in Joy) together as an album it would be the best TVPs album by quite a long way. But since that isn't an option, I'll start the ball rolling with Privilege, which not only captures the brief period when Dan clicked perfectly lyrically and musically, but is probably the only album not to have at least one truly duff track (and was recorded without the baggage of some of the original line-up and their pretensions which damaged the earlier albums).
Image Image Image

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:12 am

It's always a good question, and it's one that we've had over on the Yahoo group a couple of times in the last 6 years. My opinion tends to change, but today I've got for the pop-psyche masterpiece that is "Mummy", if only because it contains a brace of songs that mean a hell of a lot to me, "Magnificent Dreams" and "If I Could Write Poetry".

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:17 am

I agree about Mummy but I think the band lets Dan down on the first couple of albums - none of them ever seemed entirely comfortable with the material - kind of the same problem Big Star had. I actually think the Top Gear version of 'Magnificent Dreams' has a good claim to the title of Dan's best track.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Groovy

Post by Paul Groovy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:01 pm

For me it has to be My Dark Places.
Why? Because its the newest,and will be looked upon in years to come as a classic.
groovy
x

windlessair
Site Admin

Closer To Privilege in My Dark Places

Post by windlessair » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:30 pm

God, how hard to choose just one!

And some of the Eps and 7" that have songs that don't appear elsewhere?

Hmm, I would list

My Dark Places
Privilege
Closer To God

as my all time favs...

windlessair
Site Admin

Re: The best TVPs album

Post by windlessair » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:38 pm

Aidan wrote: IMO if someone were to put the four early 90s EPs (She's Never Read My Poems/Strangely Beautiful/We Will Be Your Gurus/Far Away & Lost in Joy) together as an album it would be the best TVPs album by quite a long way.
Speaking of.. wasn't Fire planning to do this at one point? I wonder what happened?

I would also want to add the Goodnight Mr Spaceman Ep and the Do You Think If You Were Beautiful You'd Be Happy EP also

Aidan

Re: The best TVPs album

Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:45 pm

Windlessair wrote:
Aidan wrote: IMO if someone were to put the four early 90s EPs (She's Never Read My Poems/Strangely Beautiful/We Will Be Your Gurus/Far Away & Lost in Joy) together as an album it would be the best TVPs album by quite a long way.
Speaking of.. wasn't Fire planning to do this at one point? I wonder what happened?

I would also want to add the Goodnight Mr Spaceman Ep and the Do You Think If You Were Beautiful You'd Be Happy EP also
As far as I know Fire has gone to a (deserved and unlamented) demise - I live 200 yds from their office, which is now a boarded-up empty shell. Not really surprised; since noone who worked with them had a good word to say about them I can't imagine anyone rushing to sign with them.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pop Goes Art

Post by Pop Goes Art » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Privilege....cause it was the first one i ever bought 8)
"Work Is The Curse Of The Drinking Classes"

ilo varech

Post by ilo varech » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:59 pm

Album : " painted word " but my favourite track is " closer to god "

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:58 pm

At the moment it's Privilege which I must admit I didn't like at the time and it took a long time to grow on me. Saying that, I've still to get All My Dark Places yet so my favourite might change.

davefusa

Post by davefusa » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:31 pm

it's part of the boy who couldnt stop dreaming,
but i absolutely adore the far away and lost in joy ep
it's the one i started with, so maybe i'm biased
but all 4 songs are so strong and fit together so nicely...
plus i like the cover colors & kitty cat

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:33 pm

davefusa wrote:it's part of the boy who couldnt stop dreaming,
but i absolutely adore the far away and lost in joy ep
it's the one i started with, so maybe i'm biased
but all 4 songs are so strong and fit together so nicely...
plus i like the cover colors & kitty cat
I agree, I think Far Away... is the single best song Dan ever wrote, and the other three complement it beautifully. I've always though that one day someone is going to have a hit with a cover of it, and have never understood why no-one's tried yet - it seems to me the perfect cover for an up-and-coming indie band. I have always thought the combination of Dan & Jowe worked far better than any of the other TVP lineups — Ball et al were technically far more competent but somehow never seem to click with Dan musically in the way Jowe did.
Image Image Image

diskojames

Post by diskojames » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:14 am

I was a mod....and all of the mid 90's EP's (i know this is cheating, but all of my fav songs are on fashion conscious and the boy who couldn't stop dreaming)...

and the b sides to goodnight mr. spaceman

marc

Post by marc » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:54 pm

I guess my all time classic is 'Choclate Art', because it was the first TVP record one I ever heard. I like 'My Dark Places', 'I Was A Mod...' and the incredible mid 90's EP's and 7''s (just hence 'Time goes slowly...') very much, because of it's songwriting and insight lyrics - kind of different in relation to the 80's. So it depends on my feelings. Right now I'm in My Dark Places.