Gig chat

Discuss other bands etc here.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Gig chat

Post by Keg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Been to any gigs recently? Post details / reviews here.

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:54 am

I saw BALLBOY yesterday in Cologne. Fabulous!!
Young boys and a girl playing finest guitar tunes.
Cool (and long) song titles, too. My favourite: "You can't spend your whole life hanging around with arseholes".
Highly recommended!

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:14 pm

13.4.2006 Dortmund, Subrosa: WOOG RIOTS
Although only a few fans were at that show it was fabulous. You heard everything you like: nice tunes, a lovely guitar, boy/girl singing, an omnichord, stylophone (cool instrument), melodica, the singing saw, handclapping and whistling. And at the end of the show the audience was invited to come on stage and play together with the band.
It was a great evening!
Last edited by Avalanche on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Avalanche wrote:13.4.2006 Dortmund, Subrosa: WOOG RIOTS
Ah, I'm so jealous! What was the lineup of the band? Was Mathias playing the bass? Did they have a drummer?

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:13 am

Keg wrote:
Avalanche wrote:13.4.2006 Dortmund, Subrosa: WOOG RIOTS
Ah, I'm so jealous! What was the lineup of the band? Was Mathias playing the bass? Did they have a drummer?
No bass player this time. Only Silvana, Marc and a drummer (sorry, I forgot the name).
It was almost a free show - the entrance was free but at the end of the show you had the chance to give some money into a hat. Very punky! I think you can see some pictures of the evening on the myspace site of the Woog Riots.

Keg
Site Admin

Persil

Post by Keg » Wed May 03, 2006 12:35 pm

PERSIL
LANCASTER YORKSHIRE HOUSE 01.05.06

I saw Persil on Monday night as they made their third visit to Lancaster's Feedback club in just over 12 months. It was a shorter set than the many Persil fans in the audience would have liked because they weren't headlining (Young People were). The set got off to an unfortunate start when the keyboard wasn't working after singer Martine had started up the backing track for "Happy". It took a minute or two and the intervention of the sound engineer to fix the problem (dodgy guitar lead) while Martine sat on the drum riser looking philosophical. Then they were off! After two old favourites, Martine said that it was time for some new songs - the rest of the set, in fact. The next 7 are all on their new album, which was on sale at the gig, and very fine it sounds. They finished with the poptastic "Light Up My Life", the first track from it. Brilliant.

Setlist
1. Happy
2. Music
3. Dance to This!
4. Breaking the Wavs
5. Feet
6. Vox
7. Alice Austen
8. Arkadelphia
9. Light Up My Life

I took a couple of pics:

Keg
Site Admin

Woogie Wonderland

Post by Keg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:00 pm

My good friends the Woog Riots from Germany are coming to England to play a one-off show at the Luinaire in London on Monday 20th November. They're supporting Dufus, who I saw last year with Jeffrey Lewis (and they were amazing).

Monday 20 Nov
The Luminaire
311 High Road
Kilburn
London
NW6 7JR

Dufus
+ Woog Riots
+ John et Jehn
+ Spinmaster Plantpot
+ One Imaginary Girl [DJ set]
Event details here
£7 on the door, £6 in advance.

http://www.theluminaire.co.uk/

Looks like a great night. Shame I can't be there.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:30 pm

The Container Drivers played a gig in Leeds on Tuesday. One of the other bands on the bill were a West Yorkshire trio called Blah Blah Tin. They were an interesting electro-noise outfit that brought to mind a mix of Joy Division, early New Order, Kraftwerk, Neu and a dour Mark E Smith on vocals. Anyway, the singer was wearing a Swell Maps t-shirt. Very nice! I asked him about it and he said he'd made it himself by scanning a logo into his computer and getting it printed. I took a couple of photos of them so I'll post a pic of it on here when I get the photos off the camera.

Agent IndiePop

Post by Agent IndiePop » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Saw Oasis with my best mate on the 9th July - bar seeing the TVPs live & a Morrissey gig in which he left after 3 songs, it was my first gig. Absolutely brilliant.

I stick firmly to the belief that its music first, second & third and then musician's looks & personality (as far as I'm aware of it, anyway) after that. But because I'm a teenage girl, when I wrote up the other day about the gig, this came out:

Things I learned yesterday:
It's worth getting to Wembley Stadium to see Oasis over 3 hours early (doors open) because you get to the very first row, standing up for over 7 consecutive hours doesn't matter if you're seeing your favourite band, being right next to the sound system is no bother at all, Jon McClure thinks his band is bigger than they actually are, The Enemy are top live & Kasabian are better. Oasis are f*****g mind-blowing.
Having Liam Gallagher grin directly at you & stick his tongue out at you is genius, having Gem Archer look at you & copy what you're doing with your arms is also top. Having Oasis play pretty much all the songs you wanted to (and then some) live is just f*****g amazing, singing along to all the songs live with your best mate is unbeatable, Liam Gallagher is even more brilliant a few inches away and has extremely soft hands and the best hand-shake ever, especially when he's looking straight at you.

A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire from the plans that she has made...

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 am

I went to see the Pains of Being Pure at Heart at Manchester University on Friday 4th December. Wow, when did this group suddenly get so big? They played the big room upstairs in the building, which always reminds me of my old secondary school's gym / assembly hall. The room was pretty full as well, with lots of people singing along. Seemed weird, as I still think of them as a little indie band on the Fortuna Pop! label. Decent gig though.

Nonsuch

Post by Nonsuch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:20 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing The Pastels play recently at ATP.
Also, an acoustic set by The Clientele at The Lexington in north London.

Bazza

Re: Gig chat

Post by Bazza » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

I went to see the return of The Moment the other week at The Borderline in London. Loved them back in the 80's but never got to see them live at the time.
The band have a bit of a TVP's link as Ed Ball co-produced their debut (and so far only) album 'The Work Gets done' back in 1985. Anyway, the band were great live and included The Chords Brett Buddy Ascott on drums and also a guest appearance from The Purple hearts Simon Stebbing on guitar. Since reforming the band have released a single 'Goodbye Tuesday' as well as a CD EP and are halfway through recording a new album. The band are back in London in October and I'll be making the trip from the North East to catch them live again.

Here's a clip of '1-2 They Fly' from the gig

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Bazza wrote:Here's a clip of '1-2 They Fly' from the gig
Who took a lamb along to the gig?
Twitter: @ConDrivers

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I went to see Wire at the New Continental in Preston last night (Friday 16th August). It was ferociously hot inside, but that didn't affect the band, who were on fine form.

Here's a clip of how they sounded. I can see myself two people behind the bloke at the front wearing the hat:

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm

I had Nervous Twitch on at my Get Hip club night the other week. Below is a review that someone did of the night. Jay & Erin from Nervous Twitch are fans of the TVP's and will be at the Dan Treacy tribute gig next month.

https://digthatgroove1.wordpress.com/20 ... h-get-hip/

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Bazza wrote:I had Nervous Twitch on at my Get Hip club night the other week. Below is a review that someone did of the night. Jay & Erin from Nervous Twitch are fans of the TVP's and will be at the Dan Treacy tribute gig next month.

https://digthatgroove1.wordpress.com/20 ... h-get-hip/
Oh wow. That band name rang a bell. I clicked on the link and saw the photos. "Hmm, they look very familiar" I thought. Checking my archives, I realised why. My band played a gig with them in Leeds on 29th October 2010. It was upstairs at the Cardigan Arms (a Johnny GoGo promotion). They were the first band on so we watched them and gave them some support. I think they hadn't been together for very long at that point. They were really good, I thought, and we all enjoyed them. Nice people too.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Keg wrote:

Oh wow. That band name rang a bell. I clicked on the link and saw the photos. "Hmm, they look very familiar" I thought. Checking my archives, I realised why. My band played a gig with them in Leeds on 29th October 2010. It was upstairs at the Cardigan Arms (a Johnny GoGo promotion). They were the first band on so we watched them and gave them some support. I think they hadn't been together for very long at that point. They were really good, I thought, and we all enjoyed them. Nice people too.
Yeah, they are nice people. I saw Jay & Erin at the Dan Treacy tribute gig but don't really have a chance to chat with the 100 Club been packed, just had time to say a quick hello. The band have had a few albums out since you played with them - https://www.discogs.com/artist/4289014-Nervous-Twitch-2