Please introduce yourself here

General chat about Television Personalities.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

prat

Post by prat » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:02 am

Keg wrote:Welcome Steve and welcome prat too. Two newbies in a week :D
cheers! :) i haven't been into the tvps nearly as long as you lot (might have something to do with my age, or maybe im just a bit slow). i've liked their early records for quite some time, but it wasn't until my mate told me dan's lifestory etc i discovered the rest. yeah well.
oh, and i saw them at the rip it up festival a few weeks ago.

nuzz

This is me

Post by nuzz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:08 am

Hallo, sorry 'bout not introducing myself, not very good at thse sort of things, my name is blah, blah, I am into blah, blah, blah. IF anyone wants to know where I'm at and where I'm from take a trip here:

http://nuzzprowlinwolf.blogspot.com/ or here: http://www.myspace.com/nuzzprowlingwolf

Just don't ask where I'm going though cos as The Lurkers said "I aint got a clue"

adayinheaven

Post by adayinheaven » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:20 pm

Another newbie!

Well, got into them a couple of years back and listening to the whole back catologue at the moment! Haven't got much else to say, apart from amazing band! :D

marc

Post by marc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 pm

Welcome! A nice username, Adayinheaven. One of my favorite songs of this amazing band.

adayinheaven

Post by adayinheaven » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 am

marc wrote:Welcome! A nice username, Adayinheaven. One of my favorite songs of this amazing band.
Thanks,mate! Yep, one of my fave's too! :D

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Welcome aboard adih!

Tell us more - have you seen the TVPs live? What's your fave album? What other stuff do you listen to? :D

Agent IndiePop

Introduction

Post by Agent IndiePop » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Can I introduce myself here?
‘cos if not I’ve already done bad…

:)
Last edited by Agent IndiePop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire from the plans that she has made...

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Echo.

Welcome aboard!

Keg

Agent IndiePop

Post by Agent IndiePop » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 am

Hey :D

& thanks for moving this ;)

A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire from the plans that she has made...

Nonsuch

Re: Introduction

Post by Nonsuch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

Echo Weller wrote:....people my age think I’m strange. I think they’re strange.
Welcome to the forum Echo...You'd probably identify with the next TVP's single due to be released on Elefant records, which is titled '..And People Think That We're Strange?' ...Could it have been written about TVP's fans perhaps? :wink:

Agent IndiePop

Post by Agent IndiePop » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Aye, let's hope so.

brackenberry

Post by brackenberry » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi, am prehistoric TVP admirer. First singles first time around, long hiatus, got back into Ed via Manchester, hiatus, lucky enough to meet Ed a year or two back, took my bald head to Luminaire gig (Dan touching with his little amp, and the Pipettes) then went to the historic/shambolic Barfly gig. What's new is old what's old is new.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Welcome brackenberry. :D

Iain Weir

Post by Iain Weir » Wed May 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi,

After six months lurking and enjoying the benefits that this forum has afforded me I thought it was best to sign up.

I was an early TVP fan but lost contact with their output in early 80s when the 60s garage punk scene took over my life for next 25 years. It still plays a large part (eg bands i play in/see and play when I dep to host the Trash Can on Resonance FM) but Six months ago I stumbled upon "All young kids on crack" on youtube and it blew me away.

it made me re-evaluate the band I am currently in which I have decided is "too normal". I have used the track since then to evaluate potential collaborators a new project - if they don't get it then lets not waste each others time! If there are any musicians amongst you in the Bristol/Somerset area then please get in touch!

I immediately bought up all holes in the back catalogue and found all tracks generally outstanding and thought provoking. Its the most honest music I am aware of. I can't believe/think its a shame that i didn't keep up with the development of the band (or any other!) through the 80s/90s/00s.

Hearing "The boy in the paisley shirt" name checking the "Groovy Cellar" was amusing as I remember the said club (and the Clinic etc) in the psychedelic renaissance of 81/82. It made me wonder why the TVPs were not bigger players in the scene at the time as from memory that scene fizzled out mostly due in my opinion to the fact the bands were not that good. Looking at the TVPs gig list on the web (if it is complete) they obviously just didn't play much. But Dan/Ed's contribution with Whamm! label obviously played a major part in signing bands around that time/scene - very fond memories of the Medics/Le Mat gigs (and contributed to backing vocal shouts of "HEY!" on a track on the latter's LP!).

Anyway, I've been digesting everything post "Mummy..." LP in 6 months. My 8 year old son has been influenced by my renewed interest in the TVPs and he recorded his own version or "Part time punks" which was aimed as being a rally call to his mates to bug their parents to buy equipment so that he can get a band together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEHgDQ-NVw
Shortly after sticking this on youtube i got an email from Syd B's nephew Ian who was emailing on behalf of the TVPs to see if it could be included on their Myspace! It's a funny old world!

Cheers, Iain.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Thu May 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Iain.

Welcome aboard! :D

With ref. to this:
Iain Weir wrote:Looking at the TVPs gig list on the web (if it is complete) they obviously just didn't play much.
The set lists on the site have been compiled from known live tapes, so it's not a gig list as such. Some time ago I started putting together a list of other gig dates, compiled from various sources (press clippings etc) but I never got around to finishing it. I might post it on here now, actually.

Keg

Eric_Jarvis

Post by Eric_Jarvis » Sun May 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Now my problem here is that most of 1979 to 1984 is lost in a haze of drink and drugs. So I'm not entirely sure how I first enciuntered the TVPs. I'm pretty sure I met Dave Musker before I'd heard of them. I'm moderately certain I'd already met Joe Foster too. Then circa 81 the band I was in started getting booked for Commication Club gigs. We did a couple supporting the TVPs. I was impressed.

Next band I was in did several Living Room gigs, including another two supporting the TVPs. We also did a demo produced by Joe, which got us an offer of a contract from Stiff (thanks Joe), which we turned down because one of the band was training to be a solicitor and actually read and understood the contract.

When I got sacked from that band I stole the drummer and one of the singers, hooked up with the bass player from the first band, and a singer-guitarist mate of the singer, and we started messing around jamming on whatever snippets of songs we had hanging around unused. After the second rehearsal I mentioned to The McGee that we were doing this, and a week or so later got a call to tell me we'd got a gig in a few weeks. Turned out he'd talked to Joe and the TVPs decided they wanted us to do a support slot for them sight unseen and sound unheard. So we set up a few more rehearsals and went for it.

On the night we ended up headlining because the TVPs had been called up to do the Floyd tour at short notice and were on at the Hammersmith Odeon instead. Lord luv 'em, the buggers got in a taxi after their set and had made it to Islington by the time we went on stage.

I bloody love everyone of them to bits. Great band and smashing people.

I've probably got a few more TVPs stories, but I suspect I won't remember them until I'm suitably drunk or stoned.

dirk

Hi there!

Post by dirk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:20 pm

After surfing this page for years and just reading I make my second effort now to become a part of this community. It failed once when I registered and my login details were gone (my name was diego back then). But I never really made an effort to come back be honest. My actual name is Dirk and I met the TVPs through Stefan. I think it's the one in here. By the way: Hi Stefan, alte Huette! :D

I moved to Hamburg years ago and became friend with Stefan and he introduced me to the TVPs - love at first sight. I completely fell in love with them and after winning an eBay auction today - "they could have been bigger than the beatles"-vinyl with the hand-painted cover - I decided to become a full member here instead of always sneaking in for news... and sometimes grabbing an mp3. :wink:

I am lately completing my collection of all (I mean all - including reissues!) TVP releases - an expensive hobby in all fairness. But it is worth it. I think to hear Dan is back made me really happy. A legend is back and I might have the opportunity to see him live. As I live in Dublin, it is easy to jump over to London for a night.

Quiet emotional the complete TVP stuff... and touching.

Thanks for letting me be part of it.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Dirk.

Welcome back!

Keg

Agent IndiePop

Post by Agent IndiePop » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Welcome Dirk :D

You name reminds me of the Adam & The Ants album by the way.

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Maybe he wears white socks as well. :D