Dave Gilmour

Chat about gigs / setlists / bootlegs etc.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Dave Gilmour

Post by Keg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:35 pm

I thought this tale was worth repeating - Paul Groovy's recollections of the TVPs supporting Dave Gilmour at the Hammersmith Odeon, 1984 (originally posted on the Jowe Head Yahoo group in January 2003).
Hi folks,
time for another of my "I was there" posts again!
The TVPs were supposed to have been playing The Living Room this
night (April 28). I turned up around 5 as usual. Mcgee turned up around 5.30 and told me that they had been asked, at short notice, to support Gilmour at the Hammersmith Odeon.
Thanks to the failings of the tube, by the time I got to the Odeon they were already on stage. The set list from this point on was: David Hockney's Diaires / Back To Vietnam / I know Where Syd Barrett Lives(inc a medley of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun / The Gnome Song / See Emily Play).
Dan introduced SB with "Get your pen and paper ready, and you can write down the address".
Afterwards, I went "round the back", where Jeff met me at the Stage Door. On the way to the dressing Room we passed Gilmour in the corridor. He didn't seem pissed off by what the TVPs had done (or maybe he just didn't recognise Jeff as the TVPs drummer!). We didn't stay for his set anyway - it was back on the tube with Dan, Jowe & Joe to the Living Room. Dave & Jeff took care of the gear, and turned up a bit later.
Love
Paul Groovy
So how many dates did they play with Dave Gilmour? Aidan mentions a gig in Cambridge in the "introduce yourself" thead.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Fri May 09, 2008 8:37 pm

As far as I know, it was just the one. Others were originally supposed to be happening, but these offers were swiftly withdrawn after the gig. My best memory of the night was Jowe throwing confetti up the air and being made to hoover it up afterwards by an irate stage manager, which he did - with considerable panache - in front of a full house of whistling fans. Twas indeed one of the most amusing TVPs gigs I have attended!

Gilmours lot treated us all (I was helping with transport and humping of gear) as if we weren't there. I am not sure any of them actually spoke to any of the band or entourage. There was a vague air of hostility from the start - begs the question of why they wanted the TVPs on in the first place. The sight of the bands ramshackle gear alongside Dave Gilmours piles of stuff was quite a contrast. Not sure any other band has ever played Hammy Odeon (as was) using a Woolworths amp!