Berlin & Hamburg Oct 2009

Chat about gigs / setlists / bootlegs etc.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Berlin & Hamburg Oct 2009

Post by Keg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Two dates in Germany coming up:

Th. 1 Oct. Bang Bang Club, Berlin
Fr. 2 Oct. Prinzenbar, Hamburg
Tickets are €12 for both.

Support comes from Northern Portrait.

Agent IndiePop

Post by Agent IndiePop » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I want to go to this so much.
Adore the TVPs (obviously) and adore Northern Portrait as well.

I need to get Dan to bring NP down to the UK...

A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire from the plans that she has made...

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:29 pm

hello and welcome to two shows in heaven!
yes, our beloved hero and his fellow musicians played a club show on friday night and a special in-store semi-acoustic performance on the next afternoon which only got announced during the show at Prinzenbar.

So the first show was very good. The band played tight, Dan was up for it, sober and in a fantastic mood. They played for two hours, songs including "Silly Girl", "Dorian Gray", "Three Whishes", "Look Back In Anger", "This Angry Silence", "This Time There`s No Happy Ending", "Someone To Share My Life With", "Stop And Smell The Roses", "The Boy In The Paisley Shirt", "King & Country", "Dream The Sweetest Dream", "The Velvet Underground", "I was a Mod before you was a mod", "A Long Time Gone" and "My Very 1st Nervous Breakdown".
Very surprisingly Dan chose to play "If That`s What Love Is" (a version which was very beautiful but different to the original melody) and "The Prettiest Girl In The World". I never had experienced these live and in person before... so this was a special moment. New great stuff like "You`re My Yoko" and "All The Things You Are" got played as well, many cover versions including a smashing version of The Jam`s "In The City" (which made most of the end30/40-something blokes run to the first row and jump up&down) and "Harmony In My Head". Also Dan did a duet with the singer of Northern Portrait, a cover version of "Like One Thousand Violins" which went down amazingly. Oh yes, I should not forget to mention A-ha`s "Take On Me" got covered and Dan singing with falsetto voice.

The in-store performance the next day was even better.
They played for one and a half hours. Dan played electric guitar (but really quiet, no feedback or distortion), Texas Bob on acoustic guitar, Mike Stone did keyboards and a young spanish boy the tambourine. I think everyone reading this can imagine what that meant. One of the most special TVP gigs ever. And it was, truly.
Of course some of the TVP`s hits of the evening before got played. "The Prettiest Girl In The World" got another treatment. But also "Games For Boys", "Smashing Time" and some stuff from the "My Dark Places" album made the audience smile.
Dan played a long but very funny cover version of Bowie`s "Space Oddity" repeating the line "Ground control to Texas Bob", and he covered "Peggy Sue" which was, in my view, the best cover version on the weekend.
So yeah, and when that set ended the TV Personalities had another surprise: they put the new album on the shop`s stereo and so everyone could listen to new songs. It`s hard to say something about that now, it was wonderful, certainly much more accessible than some of the stuff on "My Dark Places".

I am so glad I went there.
Thanks Dan, I`ll keep the faith!
Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan

my review was hamburg only

Post by Stefan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:31 pm

i forgot to mention... two shows in hamburg.

Nonsuch

Post by Nonsuch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Photo from the acoustic gig...